Friday, June 24, 2011

The Ultimate A to Z List of Canadian Musicians and Bands

This just in... the best of Canadian Music from coast to coast, from A to Z!  

The only problem is that I couldn't find a band for X!  If you know one, please help me out!  That elusive X...


Yes, it's that big a mystery!

So... without further ado, I give you... the LIST!!! 

Alexisonfire
Barenaked Ladies
City and Colour
The Dears
Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton
Feist
Great Big Sea
Hail the Villain!
ill Scarlett
Joni Mitchell
K-OS
Little Miss Higgins
Metric
The Nylons
Owen Pallett
Protest the Hero
Quartetto Gelato
Rush
Sarah Harmer
Tragically Hip
David Usher
Gilles Vigneault 
Rufus Wainwright
X
Neil Young
Zeus




And that's all for now.   

I have recently found another great website to check out.  It's called funtrivia.com.  As the title suggests, it's a trivia site where people take quizzes, write quizzes, play games and compare scores.  I started using it to study for music tests and to learn about jewelery for my job at the Farmer's Market, but it's addictive.  The advantage is that even though I'm having fun, I'm still learning new things.  

I've loved quizzes since I can remember, especially personality quizzes.  They're one of my many guilty pleasures.  Personality tests are almost always inaccurate, but there is something soothing about being asked innane questions and then being sorted into a meaningless category.  For some reason I really like tests and quizzes, even when they are for school.  They're like playing a game.    I also really like writing quizzes and trying to trick people and teach them new things.  If I were a teacher, which I might be someday, that would probably be one of my favourite things about teaching.  Yes, that's right.  Not the children.


Another thing about funtrivia is that although anyone can post a quiz on the site, like Wikipedia, the editors put a lot of effort into ensuring the quality of each quiz.  In order to even start writing my quiz, I had to...


1. Get an account
2. Take 50 quizzes to get a feel for how quizzes are written
3. Take five quizzes on how to write good quizzes
4. Read the quiz-making guidelines

And then once I started writing the quiz, I was only allowed to write a 10-question quiz, without true-or-false questions or fill-in-the-blank questions to be submitted to a quiz EDITOR.

The statistic on this site is that 80% of first quizzes are sent back for corrections by an editor.  Quiz-writers are told not to even try to submit their quizzes if they have spent less than 15 minutes on them.  It is a strict site, but the quality is excellent.  

I'm really enjoying it.  I've taken 92 quizzes and I've published 2 quizzes.  

You should try it out if you enjoy writing or taking quizzes!



Good night, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment