Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Food Stamps Challenge, Canadian Edition: Day 2

Hello again.

Today's stats:

Weight: Still 148

Meals:
Breakfast: medium bowl of Mini Wheats and banana

Work snack: granola bar and cookie


Lunch: 2 scrambled eggs, 1/2 can of tomato soup and piece of toast with butter


Dinner: 2 pieces of toast with butter and peanut butter, Mr. Noodles, apple




Admittedly I went overboard with the last meal and I still feel very full from it.  I felt tired today but still easily satisfied by my meals.  I did experience a few cravings for things, since I work at a grocery store and there are all kinds of tantalizing foods in the house that I can't eat.  The grass is always greener on the other side.  So far, I'm really not suffering too much or at all.  However, it is going to be much easier for one person to do this challenge as opposed to 2, 3, 4 or more people; a couple or a family.

I was also informed by my dad's girlfriend, who is much more knowledgeable than me since she has experienced financial instability and still does (but to a lesser degree), that just buying food with $35 doesn't give you the full picture.  When you are on food stamps, you also have to use that money for toiletries like pads, tampons, toothpaste, shampoo, Advil, toilet paper, shaving cream, etc which makes it all so much worse when you realize that.  One can always budget around that each week and save up for toiletries (eg. one toiletry item per week), but when you think about that, it just makes the budget so much tighter, even for a single person.

If I do this challenge again, I think I will include the toiletries and probably try it for a month.  But that initial purchase of just the essentials (toilet paper, shampoo, toothpaste, Advil, pads/tampons) would turn that first week into a 168-hour famine.

So far, so good.  See you tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment